11.08.2010

gourmet pumpkin seeds: cajun and garlic-thyme


I love snacking on pumpkin seeds. Today, we are going to "kick things up a notch" 
and take pumpkin seeds to (a shamelessly easy) gourmet level.


First things first: you need a pumpkin.


 I happened to buy one at the orchard this year when we went to pick apples. And I never got around 
to carving it for Halloween. (oops!) So if you are like me, and have an extraneous decorative 
pumpkin lying around on your porch, this is a great way to get rid of it without "wasting".


Chop her open, and scoop out the guts.


Separate the muck from the seeds as best as you can, then boil in a pot of water for 10 minutes.


I know it sounds weird, but my internet research told me this was the best way.
(If you are against boiling the seeds, just skip this step!)


Dry your seeds with a paper towel, then coat them in olive oil and seasonings.
For the first batch, I went cajun! 


I picked up a can of this stuff when I was in Florida last month. I have to tell you: delicious.


Spread the seasoned seeds on a baking sheet, and bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes.
You will want to stir them occasionally, and pull them out if they get too toasty.


Let cool on the sheet for a few minutes, then transfer to a bowl and serve!

Since each pumpkin will yield a different amount of seeds, 
here are my measurements for about 1 cup:

1 cup(ish) fresh pumpkin seeds, boiled
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1 to 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning


The second batch was just as delicious, but slightly more sophisticated:

1 cup(ish) fresh pumpkin seeds, boiled
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt


These would be a great snack for a holiday party! More festive and flavorful than a bowl of nuts!

4 comments:

  1. I love toasted pumpkin seeds, but never thought of adding flavors- what a great idea! Garlic and Thyme sounds so fancy, yum. I wonder if I can still get my hands on a pumpkin...

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was really fun to read you post - I am enjoying reading it so much - pumpkins are so versitile - we've been cooking pumpkins all year round and making delicous Indian style pumpkin dishes.

    ReplyDelete